Last updated : 28 April 2002

Simon Lynch and Shaun Maloney scored the goals that ensured Celtic created history and became the first ever top division club in Scotland to reach the 100 points mark in a season.

With one eye on next weeks' cup final Martin O'Neill chose to field a second string side and with Hearts at full strength it looked as though Celtic might have struggled to get anything from the game. However, O'neill needn't have worried as his youngsters put on a stylish show that had the Jam Tarts on the back foot for most of the game.

Simon Lynch's performance, in particular, must have gave O'Neill food for thought as he comsiders his pool for next week's big game. The Celtic Youngster oozed class with every touch and he might just have played his way to a seat on the bench at Hampden.

The final result must be a major embarrassment to the Edinburgh men who were more or less at full strength. They were never able to cope with the speed of the Celtic youngsters and but for Anti Niemi they could have had even redder faces at the final whistle.

Simon Lynch set Celtic on course for the 100 points total when he netted Celtic's first goal on 12 minutes. Lynch latched on to a flick on from Momo Sylla to flick the ball over the keeper and then head low into the net from 10 yards - a superb goal.

Hearts tried to forse their way back into it and eventually their hard work paid off in 33 minutes when Fuller equalised from 18 yards out following a great pass from Steve Fulton.

Despite the equaliser Celtic still looked well on top and it was no surprise when they regained the lead on 41 minutes. It was Simon Lynch again who provided the killer touch with a low shot into the net following a pass from Smith inside the box.

It was no more than Celtic deserved and the large travelling support gave the bhoys a rousing cheer as the teams went inside at half time.

Celtic emphasised their dominanace when, nine minutes after the break, they made it 3-1. This was the goal of the game as young Maloney hit home a fantastic 28 yard free kick into the keepers top left corner, it was a stunning strike by the youngster.

Maloney was again on the mark in 66 minutes. This time Lynch was the provider as he passed to Maloney insdie the box and the diminutive striker slotted home with a curling shot.

In the last minute Guppy was upended in the box and we had the hilarious sight of Maloney and Lynch fighting over who should take the penalty. Eventually Maloney won the argument but his low shot to the right hit the base of the post and bounced clear.

At the end of the day it was an enthralling performance by a Celtic second string and it gave a fascinating glimpse into the future with the young guns winning the day.

Celtic Match Reports

Scottish League Cup Sun 15th April 13:30

Celtic - - - Rangers

Last game - Match Centre

Trending on the boards