Celtic 5-0 Dundee Utd- Match Report

Kris Commons stars in Celtic victoryKris Commons was the focal point of attention again as Celtic returned to domestic duties with a 5-0 thrashing of Dundee United at Parkhead.The Hoops had lost 3-1 to Molde in the Europa League on Thursday night to leave them bottom of Group A but swept into the lead against the Ladbrokes Premiership's bottom side with goals from striker Leigh Griffiths and defender Dedryck Boyata.Commons, who issued an public apology for his reaction to being substituted in Norway, scored a penalty just before the interval and then grabbed a second in the 53rd minute before skipper Scott Brown scored with a deflected shot with a minute remaining.Celtic went four points ahead of second-placed Aberdeen while United, with new boss Mixu Paatelianen in charge for the second game, left the pitch somewhat bedraggled.After the misery in Molde, boss Ronny Deila changed and reshuffled his back four with summer signing Jozo Simunovic making only his second appearance and his home league debut after recovering from bone bruising.Kieran Tierney, 18, came in at left-back and Efe Ambrose moved from central defence to right-back with Mikael Lustig and Emilio Izaguirre dropping out as did midfielder Nir Bitton, replaced by Gary Mackay-Steven.Carlton Cole, the 31-year-old former West Ham striker who signed for the Hoops until 2017 on Thursday, was introduced to the crowd before the match.He then took his seat in the stand and watched his new team dominate completely.Early efforts from Commons, given a huge cheer by Celtic fans when his name was read out before the match, and former United midfielder Stuart Armstrong, set the tone.Both players then had shots saved by United keeper Luis Zwick before Simunovic sent a drive inches wide of the far post.The United keeper, however, did not look too clever at Griffiths' goal when coming off his line to cut out Brown's through ball.The Scotland striker nipped in front of him and from the tightest of angles turned the ball into the net with a neat finish for his 13th of the season.The goal did nothing to change the pattern of the game.The visitors showed no real desire to get forward.Griffiths forced a save from Zwick with a long-range drive but five minutes before the interval the keeper had no chance when Boyata powered in a close-range header from an Armstrong free-kick.And just before the break Tierney's run into the box was halted by Scott Fraser allowing Commons to scored the penalty awarded by referee Craig Thomson, to loud cheers.Seconds after the restart Zwick pushed a 20-yard drive from Mackay-Steven on to the post before Armstrong slewed a shot wide from 10 yards.The pattern of the match had been quickly re-established.The fourth goal was inevitable and it came after United failed to deal properly with Commons' corner, the ball coming back out to him before he side-stepped John Rankin and hammered a shot high past Zwick.The Tannadice keeper remained under steady pressure and made a fine save from Johansen's 25-yard pile driver and a drive from a similar distance from Simunovic.In between, and with some symbolism and significance, Commons gave Deila a hug after being replaced by Tom Rogic as Griffiths came off for Nadir Ciftci.The procession towards the United goal continued and in the 89th minute Brown skipped down the left flank and into the United box before knocking the ball in off Aaron Kuhl from a tight angle to complete a convincing win

Source : PA

Source: PA